This is easily the best and most treasured recipe that I have. One of my favorite aunts, (who cooks like a goddess) had given me this recipe to enjoy and it has become the most favorite and go-to meals for my family. The thing that I love about this recipe is how incredibly easy and delicious it is!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 5 Servings 1x
- Category: Curry
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Bengali
- 2lbs of beef chuck, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large potatoes, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large onions (sliced)
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/3 cup onion (1/2 of an onion)
- Set potatoes aside for later and mix Beef Curry ingredients together in a pot. Add ½ cup of water.
- Cover with lid and let beef cook for 10 minutes on high heat.
- After 10 minutes, mix the curry well. Turn the heat to medium and let simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Check occasionally (every 5-10 minutes) during the 30-45 minutes. If necessary, add ½ cup of water (while checking) to avoid beef from burning and water evaporating (I usually have to do this 3 times).
- After 30-45 minutes or until meat is tender, add potatoes. Make sure there is enough gravy in the pot, if not, add 3 cups water and let simmer on medium-low heat.
- Heat oil in a small pan on medium heat. Add onion and sauté until slightly softened.
- Add cumin seeds and mix until onion is slightly browned.
- When finishing is done, pour it into the curry and mix gently. Let curry simmer for another 5 minutes and check if potatoes are done. (You may add more salt at this point if you prefer!)
- After potatoes are cooked, let curry rest in very low heat for 5 min before enjoying!
If you are doubling the size of this recipe, do not add any more cardamom or cinnamon sticks.
Keywords: beef curry, beef stew, meat and potatoes