This Thanksgiving, we decided to do something different with our bird, make chicken! Lately, we have been making this switch because of how notoriously dry turkey can be. This recipe however, will provide the juiciest, tender and flavorful bite for those who crave a little taste of home.
- Prepping The Chicken
Get your hands dirty! Although this recipe doesn’t require any brining, make sure to take the chicken out of the refrigerator for at least 15-30 minutes. Bringing the chicken closer to room temperature ensures an even coverage when marinating. Don’t forget to pat the chicken dry. As they say, the drier the bird, the crispier the skin!
2. Surprise Ingredient
Harissa! This North African and Middle Eastern spice compliments Bengali dishes, especially when they are meant to be roasted! While it is not a traditional Bengali ingredient, it sure brings in a surprisingly pleasant change.
NOTE: It is definitely possible to substitute the paste with powder. Use 1 tablespoon of the harissa powder if you wish, rather than the paste.Print
Spiced Roast Chicken
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 75
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 whole chicken, 3 pounds
- 1–2 tablespoon harissa paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 lemon halved
- 2 tablespoon softened butter
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 5–6 green chili (optional)
Roast Vegetables (optional)
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 12 baby carrots
- 8 unpeeled garlic cloves
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a separate tray, squeeze lemon juice all over chicken. Stuff green chilis and both halved lemons inside the chicken’s cavity once juiced.
- Combine ingredients together and massage chicken until evenly coated. Any excess seasoning may be tucked into the skin pockets on the breast.
- In a small roasting tray, scatter the onion, carrots and unpeeled garlic cloves. Season gently with salt.
- Place chicken on the bed of vegetables or on roasting tray and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Baste every 15-20 minutes.
- Check if the chicken is done by slicing the thickest part of the chicken thigh with a knife. If juices are running clear, the chicken is done.
- Once chicken is done, take it out and let it rest in room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Keywords: roast chicken, spiced roast chicken, harissa chicken, curried roast chicken